Stomach Woes: Unravelling Gastritis and Its Hidden Symptoms
Do you have abdominal pain and heartburn or feel nauseous and fatigued, or even experienced a sudden weight loss. These are all symptoms of GASTRITIS.By Admin | 22 November 2023
What exactly is Gastritis?
Gastritis, in its simplest definition, is the inflammation of the stomach lining. Also defined as irritation in the stomach lining. It is essential for an individual to understand this and recognize its hidden symptoms for timely diagnosis and effective treatment.
What causes Gastritis?
- H.pylori infection– Helicobacter Pylori is a bacteria and a common cause of gastritis. There is a possibility that, if left untreated, it can lead to ulcers.
- Alcohol consumption– Alcohol, when consumed every day in large quantities, can irritate the stomach lining and cause inflammation.
- Continuous use of NSAIDs– Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are medicines that are used to relieve pain and inflammation. Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen are common NSAIDs. When these medicines are used extensively, they can contribute to gastritis.
- Stress– Both emotional and physical stress can make gastritis worse or difficult to manage.
- Autoimmune Diseases– This occurs when the immune system attacks the stomach lining, leading to chronic gastritis.
Symptoms of Gastritis
There are both obvious and non-obvious symptoms. The obvious symptoms are ones like abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting. There are symptoms that may not be quite obvious. These are
- Belching– Often commonly referred to as burping. Frequent belching, generally after meals, could be a sign of gastritis.
- Heartburn– That burning sensation in the chest or throat is a possible sign of gastritis.
- Fatigue– When one is suffering from chronic gastritis, it could lead to fatigue due to nutrient malabsorption.
- Sudden and unexplainable weight loss– When you lose weight with no absolute reason, it is highly possible that gastritis could be a reason.
- Blood in stool or vomit– In the worst cases, it is highly possible that there is gastrointestinal bleeding, which can be noticed in stool or vomit.
How does a doctor diagnose Gastritis?
If you experience any one or many of the symptoms mentioned above, it is suggested that you consult the doctor as soon as possible so as not to make the condition worse. The doctor will ask you about your medical history and conduct a physical examination or diagnostic tests like an endoscopy or blood.
Treatment will depend on the type of cause and the type of gastritis you can have, acute or chronic. The doctor might suggest you change your lifestyle, prescribe medications like antacids or antibiotics for H.pylori infection, or ask for supportive care.
How do I prevent Gastritis?
It is often the best advice to say that prevention is better than cure. There are various measures that one can undertake to prevent gastritis.
- Have a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber.
- Limit your alcohol consumption if you drink daily.
- Use NSAIDs only under medical guidance.
- Manage your physical and mental stress effectively through relaxation techniques.
It’s fair to say that gastritis is a common but underestimated condition. If you have concerns about gastritis or its symptoms, don’t hesitate to reach out to our healthcare provider for guidance and support.